Liberty Bell Blues

A Philadelphia conservative tries to stay sane in a city full of liberals

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, July 12, 2008

R.I.P. Tony Snow. The former White House press secretary and conservative pundit died today after a long battle with colon cancer. Here is the story from Fox News, where Snow worked as a TV anchor:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,381250,00.html

My fondest memories of Mr. Snow date back to the days when he was a sometime guest host on Rush Limbaugh's radio program. I remember him once saying that life is basically simple when you do what you are supposed to do. It's when you try to weasel your way out of doing the right thing that life becomes complicated. He used Bill Clinton as an example, recalling the times when Clinton tried to defend his actions by attempting to redefine such common words as "sex" and "alone" and "is", and by trying to find loopholes in the Ten Commandments. If you do what you are supposed to do in this world, Snow said, then there is no need to complicate things so much.

Those words have stayed with me for years, and I have often repeated them to people. Much to my surprise, people sometimes give me a puzzled-looking expression when I say it! I would think that people would basically agree with this sentiment. Unfortunately, we live in a world where many people have a tendency to try to weasel their way out of doing the right thing. And, personally, I live in a very liberal city where it almost seems to be the norm! The sad thing is that when people try to "get over", as the saying goes, they not only complicate their own lives, but they complicate things for the rest of us as well. It seems to me that liberalism in general tends to complicate things that are simple, because the simple truth about things often refutes what liberals want to believe.

I thank Mr. Snow for articulating that important life lesson which has helped to stiffen my moral spine over the years, and has helped me to better understand liberalism. May God rest his soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home